Monday, February 14, 2011

Love's Target of Opportunity

Happy Valentine's Day.

For those of you who count "observances" like today as "holidays," here's an older poem about the subject of Feb. 14th's special raison d’être. Or is it?


"Target of Opportunity"
By Joseph Hesch

Once I think I caught a glimpse of it
from the corner of the corner of my eye.
And when I thought I had found it,
it turns out it had found me.
Maybe it was looking for me all along,
instead of the other way around.
I think that’s how it works because,
when you’re looking for it,
you’ll more than likely walk right by
the real thing, like it was an Apache hiding
in the scrub brush, looking like
another piece of the scenery.
It’s waiting to see if you’re worth the arrow.
Maybe that’s why when I think I got close to it,
I felt the hairs on the back of my neck
stretch themselves a little bit taller.
Stupid hair, making me a bigger target.
Stupid me, not knowing that reaction’s
what I should have been looking for
in the first place.

1 comment:

  1. So you were promoted by Tashtoo and I thought I'd come see you.
    Turns out she was right and your blog is really tight.
    I like your newest post, so I give you a toast.
    Oh sorry cat's can drink, so I'll just play in the sink.
    Even though I think this day is crap, I still enjoyed your rap.
    As everything you said, hit the nail on the head.
    So keep up the good work and I hope I wasn't too much of a jerk.

    ReplyDelete