Sunday, December 11, 2011

A Twelvemonth's Tears

By Joseph Hesch

The December weather has edges
and sharp points, like a star 
atop the Christmas tree. 
When I inhale, the air feels 
of peppermint but the flavor
favors woodsmoke from
my neighbor's fireplace.
It's during these nights, 
under a stardust canopy 
and a searchlight moon,
my eyes sting and water a bit. 
Not sure if it's from the the cold, 
the smoke, or the need to 
sweep the cinders
of another year from them.
Or perhaps this year
it's to wipe the spillings
of an old year away to prepare
for a brighter new one.
Perhaps.

4 comments:

  1. nice...a little melancholy there at the end...i like the chilled air smelling of woodsmoke...that to me is this season for sure...miss having a fireplace myself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This starts feeling a bit nostalgic, and ends a little melancholy--but that's okay, because it is the season for memories, both sad and happy. I, too have moments through the season (all it takes for me is to hear the words to 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas', corny as that sounds). It seems like this past year has had some rough spots for you. I can only hope the next IS one is brighter! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or perhaps this year
    it's to wipe the spillings
    of an old year away to prepare
    for a brighter new one.
    Perhaps

    ... very poetic. Reminds me of the good and bad things in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this poem Joe, it portrays so well how one feels at the end of an old year, just after Christmas. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete