Friday, March 11, 2011

Alone in the Dark

By Joseph Hesch

It’s pitch black where I sleep.
I'm okay with it that way, just me,
my breath and the dreams
we create with open eyes,
even though no one’s there
to say they’re not.

It’s lonely where I sleep.
I don’t really like it that way
but those near-sleep dreams
have comforted me for years
even though they can’t hold me
and I have trouble holding them.

Someday, I hope to find a place
to sleep where someone will
hold me and I can close my eyes
and dream the colors I can’t see here
where it’s pitch black and lonely and
closed eyes snuff what little light's left in me.

3 comments:

  1. Joe, this is wonderful! There is a truth in this piece that draws the reader in, engaging them..to the point where you will never really be alone in the dark...your work speaks to too many!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep - i hear you, your comment on my blog in mind..no easy place to be - tenderly and honestly expressed in your words
    loved this lines esp.
    even though they can’t hold me
    and I have trouble holding them

    ReplyDelete
  3. good to have you around in blogland joe - just wanted to tell you..

    ReplyDelete