Friday, March 4, 2011

False Spring

“False Spring”
By Joseph Hesch

The sun is hanging higher, longer
each day, and I am again craving
the warm light of love I feared
lost over the near-death of our winter.

Encouraged by the shining face she
showed me, I ventured into the field,
its winter-woven cover frayed to vapor,
the dry warp of autumn left behind.

Looking into her hazy brilliance,
I shivered in chill despair
and watched her once again run away
from arms that coveted her light and warmth.

Lowering my eyes, I dropped my gaze
to the ground and saw it land, freezing,
on the first thread of vernal weft–
its hope, as mine, stillborn by false spring.

3 comments:

  1. aw man...we have had several days of false spring...hoping it is here to stay though...gorgeous out today...will soak some up for you, if you make a snow ball for me...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad and beautiful. I can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the title, well done.

    signed in to follow your blog.

    please share one piece with poets rally today, thanks.

    ReplyDelete